With almost no bandwidth at home, I needed a way to download
DOOM that didn't involve blocking the home internet line for two days. Besides finding a friend with a good internet line, I also found that using steamcmd you can use any computer to download steam games. No need to bring your gaming rig to your friend house to download the game, they can download it for you or you can use a laptop without steam.
Downloading the game
steamcmdfollowing the official instructions.
- Open it and log-in with your username and password:
login username password
- Set the operating system and bitness (32/64 bits) for the game. For example, I downloaded
DOOMfrom a mac for a
- Choose a folder name:
- Go to https://steamdb.info/ and find the
APPIDof the game you want to download.
- Start the download:
app_update 379720 validate
This will generate a folder called
DOOM with the game inside and one extra folder:
steamapps where an
appmanifest_xxx.vcf file will be created. We will use that file later to add the game to the steam library.
Installing the game back at your gaming station
- Close steam.
- Find your steam folder.
- Copy the game where the other games are. Usually the
steamapps\commonfolder. Leave the name of the folder unchanged
- From the game, you've just copied, move the appmanifest file to the
steamappsfolder (Where other manifest files are).
- Open steam and you should see your game as installed in your library.
- You can verify that your game is ok following these instructions.